DRESSING FOR THE RACES
ROYAL ASCOT is the most prestigious event of the racing calendar. With tickets for the Royal Enclosure being available to “members” only, it is a very formal occasion at which no exceptions are made regarding dress. Anyone who arrives improperly dressed is simply not admitted. Suit hire from DAPPER is an easy solution.
Each of the enclosures at Royal Ascot has its own separate dress code. Entry to the Royal Enclosure requires that gentlemen wear full morning dress in either black, grey or navy, including a top hat which can be either black or grey. To personalise the 'look' a waistcoat and tie of your choice can be selected from our extensive suit hire range.
2023 regulations have been copied here from the official Royal Ascot website:
Gentlemen are kindly reminded that morning dress is a requirement and must:
- Be of black, grey or navy material
- Include a waistcoat and necktie (patterns of a patriotic nature, for example a national flag, are acceptable)
- Include a black or grey top hat (may be removed within a restaurant or Private Box. Top hats may also be removed within an enclosed external seating area, terrace, balcony, or garden)
- Black shoes worn with socks covering the ankle
Please note the following are not permitted:
- Customised top hats (with, for example; coloured ribbons, feathers or embellishments)
- Cravats, bow ties and neckerchiefs
- Novelty patterns and fabrics (including, for example; slogans, phrases, promotional messaging, brand logos or cartoon imagery)
THE DERBY, held in early June on the Epsom Downs, also has a strict dress code for visitors to the Queen’s Stand. Usually, either black or grey morning dress with a top hat, service dress or full national costume is obligatory for gentlemen on Derby Day. The current dress code will be found at the Epsom Downs website.
Being based within easy reach of both Ascot and Epsom race courses, DAPPER Formalwear for Men has become very experienced at the supply of morning dress and top hat and tails to comply with the strict entry rules. Whether you wish to hire your morning suit for a one-off visit, or whether you would like to buy yourself something special, made to order, DAPPER is here to help you.